In old English statutes. A measure of wine, or vessel containing forty gallons.
Related Legal Terms & Definitions
- HOGSHEAD A measure of a capacity containing the fourth part of a tun, or sixty-three gallons.…
- RUNDLET, OR RUNLET A measure of wine, oil, etc., containing eighteen gallons and a half. Cowell.
- TIERCE measures. A liquid measure containing the third part of a pipe, or forty-two gallons.
- TUN measure. A vessel of wine or oil, containing four hogsheads.
- AWM OR AUME An ancient measure, used in measuring Rhenish wines it contained forty gallons. AYANT CAUSE. French…
- KILDERKIN A measure of capacity equal to eighteen gallons. See Measure.
- BUSHEL measure. The Winchester bushel was made the standard of grain; a cylindrical vessel, eighteen and…
- PECK A measure of two gallons; a dry measure